Address, Phone, Request Quote Button

Residential & Commercial Window Tinting Company Houston Texas

We do not do Car/Automotive Tinting
Call us today at (281) 932-0643 to get a free quote

If you’re someone who thrives in a space surrounded by plants and greenery, chances are you don’t have tints on your house windows. After all, indoor plants also need their fair share of sunlight, and window tints can hinder that. Right? — Wrong!

This is usually a common misconception that people have. Most people believe that window tints are bad solely because they filter out sunlight, and without the needed rays of sunshine, their plants won’t grow healthy. But we’re here to clear away these misunderstandings once and for all.

Are Window Tints Harmful to Indoor Plants?

The short answer? No.

The long version? Window tints do filter out sunlight. That’s a fact. However, a good quality window film will have enhanced features that can differentiate between the good and the bad. This means that all the sun rays your plants and your body need will easily find their way across the barrier. But the harmful rays will be trapped and denied entry. This way, indoor plants can thrive and bloom as much as they want without damage.

Help! My Plants Wilted After I Got My Windows Tinted

Now, before you go straight into panic mode, hear us out. Whenever your plants face a big change of pace, they cower in response. This doesn’t mean that your plants are wilting. They’re just getting used to the new change. It’s so common that if you were to shift your plant from a small pot to a bigger one, it would react in the same way and temporarily wither.

That is why when you get window tints, the light it filters out can become a huge shift for your plant. Coming to terms with this alteration of the amount of visible light they receive could make your plants wilt. Nonetheless, this effect barely lasts a week because they bloom back to their original shape soon after.

What Sunrays Do Window Tints Filter Out?

The sun, in general, has too much radiation that it emits daily. Mainly though, there are three categories you can divide sunrays into.

  • Ultraviolet Rays
  • Infrared Radiation
  • Visible Light.

Now, when it comes to plants, they rely heavily on soil, water, and sunlight. However, the sunlight they depend on lies in the visible light spectrum. This is what your plants essentially need to go through photosynthesis. Moreover, on a more specific scale, your plants require red and blue rays within the visible light spectrum to grow. In a sense, it is due to these two rays of sunshine that plants grow healthy.

In addition, indoor plants need a minimum of 25% visible light to function correctly. On the other hand, most window tints allow around 75% of visible light to penetrate through the windows, which is more than enough for your plants to survive.

Where Can I Find a Professional Window Tint Installer?

Lastly, just keep in mind that window tints aren’t all that bad for plants. In fact, they’re quite beneficial since they do tend to filter out harmful UV rays. Nevertheless, if you’re interested in getting window tinting for your house, contact Sun Masters Window Tinting at (281) 351-4363 for a free quote today!

Skip to content